Are you a die-hard coffee lover? In that case, we’re betting that you’re always looking for ways to improve and enhance your coffee drinking experience.
However, once you’ve tried a wide variety of espresso beans, it’s easy to start feeling as though you’ve tried them all. What’s a coffee enthusiast to do?
Well, if you’ve been feeling like you’re in a bit of a coffee-related rut, you’ve come to the right place! In today’s article, we’re going to be reviewing the top 7 chocolate-covered espresso beans!
Chocolate-covered espresso beans are a great way to take the bitter edge off your coffee consumption while still getting to enjoy your daily (okay, maybe several times daily) caffeine kick.
We’re sure you’re as excited about these blends as we are, so let’s get into it! Don’t forget to consult our buyer’s guide and Frequently Asked Questions section to help you make your choice.
- 1 The 7 Best Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
- 1.1 Best Overall
- 1.2 FirstChoiceCandy Dark Chocolate Covered Roasted Espresso Coffee Beans
- 1.3 Runner-Up
- 1.4 Sunny Island Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
- 1.5 Best Budget
- 1.6 Sunridge Farms Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans
- 1.7 Best Gourmet
- 1.8 Hoosier Hill Farm Gourmet Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
- 1.9 Best Organic
- 1.10 Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
- 1.11 Best Assorted
- 1.12 Dilettante Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Blend Jar
- 1.13 Highly Commended
- 1.14 Wincrest Chocolate Espresso Beans
- 2 Choosing the Best Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans: A Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
The 7 Best Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
Appropriately enough, our best overall chocolate-covered roasted espresso coffee bean brand is FirstChoiceCandy.
These chocolate-covered espresso beans are the perfect choice if you’re looking for an espresso blend that will taste smooth and velvety as opposed to bitter and overpowering. This is because the FirstChoiceCandy chocolate-covered espresso beans are made using a small piece of espresso bean, coated with a thick layer of chocolate.
Admittedly, there is a downside to this ratio, because people who enjoy very strong coffee are likely to find the blend too weak. However, since most people who opt for chocolate-covered espresso are looking for a smoother taste experience, this is unlikely to be a problem for most customers.
Something else we like about these espresso beans is that they contain no sodium whatsoever. This is a much healthier option if you have high blood pressure or are looking to lower your sodium intake for other reasons.
You can purchase these chocolate-covered espresso beans in 1 lb, 2 lb, and 5 lb bags. This gives you a lot of freedom in terms of the quantities you purchase. If you’re just planning to try these out and see how you like them, the 1 lb bag will be your best choice. Alternatively, if you’re sure you’ll enjoy them and are a big coffee drinker, the 5 lb bag might suit you better.
This leads us nicely on to talk about the packaging, which is almost as impressive as the product itself. Not only is the packaging resealable, meaning you’ll never have to worry about your espresso beans getting stale, it also comes packed in ice to make sure that the chocolate doesn’t melt.
- High chocolate to espresso ratio – Gentle flavor
- No sodium – Better for blood pressure and weight loss
- Available in 1, 2, and 5 lb bags – Buy to match your coffee intake
- Resealable packaging – Prevents staleness and increase hygiene
- Packed with ice – Minimal risk of melting
- Not the strongest in terms of caffeine – May not be strong enough for some buyers
In our runner-up spot, we’ve chosen the Sunny Island Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans.
This chocolate-covered espresso bean blend is made with premium Arabica coffee beans for a smooth, refined, and authentic espresso flavor.
The taste of the espresso beans is combined with the rich flavor of 72% dark chocolate. Not only is the chocolate of high quality, but it’s also high in antioxidants. Antioxidants can help to reduce your risk of certain health conditions, including some types of cancer as well as heart disease.
Additionally, because of the high chocolate percentage, this product does not contain any dairy ingredients. This doesn’t mean that no contamination has taken place at the factory, however, so if you have any allergies, we would recommend contacting the company directly for more information.
These chocolate-covered espresso beans come in a 2 lb bag, each bag containing 240 coffee beans. This is really good value for money.
There have been some customer complaints regarding chocolate having melted on arrival, which is the one thing that lets the product down overall.
- Premium Arabic coffee beans – Refined flavor
- 72% dark chocolate – High antioxidant content
- 2 lb bag – 240 pieces per purchase
- Dairy-free – Suitable for vegans
- Some reports of melting on arrival – Not the best in terms of packaging
- Dark Chocolate Candy Covered Espresso Coffee Beans, Premium Arabic coffee beans
- Our supreme dark chocolate covered espresso beans are whole, hand picked estate arabica beans drenched in bittersweet 72% chocolate
- Packed with natural antioxidants, chocolate and cocoa sit in the same good-for-you category as green tea and blueberries.
Chocolate-covered espresso beans may sound like a luxury, but if you buy from the right brand, they don’t have to cost an arm and a leg.
These espresso beans and the chocolate enrobing them are both organic in compliance with USDA guidelines. This means that no harmful chemicals, including pesticides, have been used in their production.
Moreover, the espresso beans are GMO-free and don’t contain any hydrogenated fats. From this, you can be certain that the espresso and cocoa beans have been grown naturally and that they won’t contribute to your cholesterol levels.
We also really like that these chocolate-covered espresso beans come in a small 7 oz bag. This is the perfect, inexpensive way to try out chocolate-covered espresso beans for the first time.
With that being said, anyone following a vegan diet/lifestyle or anyone with a dairy allergy or intolerance should be aware that these espresso beans contain milk. Moreover, the product has been manufactured on a shared belt with nuts and wheat, so people with nut and wheat allergies should steer clear.
- No hydrogenated fats – No bad cholesterol
- Certified organic – USDA-compliant
- Non-GMO – Naturally produced
- 7 oz bag – Good for trying out
- Contains milk – Not vegan-friendly
- No hydrogenated fats or high fructose corn syrup allowed in any food
- No bleached or bromated flour
- No synthetic nitrates or nitrites
These Gourmet Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans from Hoosier Hill Farm provide a beautiful taste experience.
Hoosier Hill Farm’s chocolate-covered espresso beans are made with sizeable chunks of premium espresso beans. This not only delivers a powerful and authentic flavor but also produces a very satisfying, crunchy texture that makes them perfect for snacks.
Unlike many other chocolate-covered espresso beans, these ones are made with pure dark chocolate. That means that there are no sweeteners or milk mixed into the chocolate, so you can enjoy the authentic taste experience without worrying about the negative impact on your health.
There’s no sodium in these espresso beans, either, which means they won’t contribute to sodium-related health issues.
The Hoosier Hill Farm espresso beans come in a 2 lb bag, ideal if you’re a big coffee lover who wants their purchase to last.
We did notice that the layer of chocolate covering these espresso beans is relatively thick, which won’t bother everyone, but may be off putting to those who prefer the taste of coffee to overpower the chocolate.
- Premium espresso beans – Rich and powerful flavor
- Sizeable pieces of coffee bean – Crunchy and satisfying
- Pure dark chocolate – No milk or additives
- Sodium-free – Healthier than some alternatives
- 2 lb bag – Plenty of value for your money
- Thick chocolate covering – Not to the taste of all coffee lovers
- Absolutely delicious and very addicting.
- Made with rich dark gourmet chocolate and premium espresso beans
- Real espresso beans carefully enrobed in rich pure dark chocolate.
We’ve already reviewed one organic chocolate-covered espresso bean mix in today’s article, but if you want to be really health-conscious about your choice, we recommend Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate-Covered Espresso Beans!
The espresso beans chosen by Trader Joe’s are Arabica beans of the finest quality, so even though these chocolate-covered espresso beans aren’t actually as expensive as you might expect, they taste incredible.
Trader Joe’s chocolate-covered espresso beans are organic and don’t contain any artificial coloring or flavoring, so essentially, what you see is exactly what you get.
The 14 oz container that these espresso beans come in makes this a great purchase in terms of value for money.
However, because this product contains soy, it won’t be suitable for everyone. There’s also a chance of cross-contamination in the factory setting, so people with common allergies should employ their best judgment as to whether this product will be safe for them.
- High-quality Arabica beans – Indulgent
- 14 oz container – Good value for money
- Organically produced – USDA-compliant
- No artificial ingredients – All-natural flavors and colors
- Contains soy – Not suitable for consumers with soy intolerances
- Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans 14 oz.
Most of the chocolate-covered espresso beans on the market are made using dark chocolate. However, if you’re looking for chocolate-covered espresso beans to satisfy your sweet tooth, you might want to try something different.
This Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Blend Jar from Dilettante is large, weighing 3 lbs, so each purchase will provide you with plenty to satisfy your caffeine cravings.
Dilettante has chosen to use Hapsburg roasted coffee beans for these bite-sized treats, which deliver a smooth and luxurious taste experience. Plus, whole beans have been used instead of smaller pieces, so the overall eating experience is much more satisfying.
The chocolate-covered espresso beans come in 4 different flavors: milk chocolate, white chocolate, dark chocolate, and a mixed chocolate flavor. This means you can always have variety and choice when it comes to your caffeine fix.
Please be aware that these chocolate-covered espresso beans contain both soy and milk, so anyone who is allergic to or chooses not to eat these ingredients will want to select a different product.
- Hapsburg roasted coffee beans – Smooth flavor
- Whole espresso beans – Satisfying
- 4 flavors – White, milk, dark, and mixed
- 3 lb jar – Long-lasting supply
- Contains milk and soy – Not suitable for those with soy allergies or those on dairy-free diets
- HIGH-QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Dilettante’s Chocolate Coffee Beans are made from our own Hapsburg roasted coffee and then coated with decadent layers of chocolate made from real cream and pure cocoa...
- LUSCIOUS CHOCOLATE TASTE: This bean blend offers all four of Dilettante’s chocolate espresso bean flavors. Enjoy a smooth and rich taste, expertly paired with the robust flavor of real whole roasted...
- LARGE BULK SIZE MADE TO SHARE: This three-pound jar is perfect for filling candy dishes, sharing with friends, or for keeping an office for an energizing and delicious treat
Finally, if you’re a fan of high-quality chocolate-covered espresso beans, it’s definitely worth trying the Wincrest Chocolate Espresso Beans.
These chocolate-covered espresso beans come in a 1.5 lb jar, so you get plenty of beans for the price as well as an effective storage method that doesn’t allow your snacks to get stale.
Wincrest has used dark chocolate to cover the espresso beans but unlike some other chocolate-covered coffee beans, the covering isn’t too thick or heavy. This keeps the espresso beans light and ensures that the flavor of the chocolate won’t drown out the coffee.
Plus, vanilla flavoring has been employed to add some sweetness. Between the dark chocolate and coffee, it’s easy for chocolate-covered espresso beans to get overwhelmingly bitter, but the vanilla prevents this from happening.
Anyone who is allergic to or doesn’t eat either milk or soy should avoid these beans, however, since they contain both of these ingredients.
- 1.5 lbs – Sizeable supply
- Jar container – No risk of stale beans
- Light chocolate covering – Won’t overpower coffee flavor
- Vanilla flavoring – Contributes sweetness
- Contains soy and milk – Not widely compatible with dietary restrictions
- Estimate per order: 1.500 Lbs in Sealed bag
- Chocolate Specialty
- Product of Albanese, USA
Choosing the Best Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans: A Buyer’s Guide
First and foremost, you’ll want to work out what kind of coffee beans are used to make any chocolate-covered espresso beans you’re considering buying.
Of course, they will all be espresso beans, but there are different types. The most commonly used type of espresso bean for this purpose is Arabica, which accounts for about 60% of the coffee produced around the world. However, occasionally, other types of coffee beans are also used, and this can impact the overall taste experience.
Moreover, you’ll want to find out if the manufacturer is using whole espresso beans or fragments. The former will provide a crunchier and more satisfying experience, while the former might be the best choice if you’re not a huge caffeine consumer.
You will also need to think about the type of chocolate used to cover the espresso beans. Most of the time, dark chocolate is the default choice because it goes well with the strong flavor of espresso. However, dark chocolate comes in different percentages (with higher percentages being purer and stronger) and may or may not contain milk or sweeteners, so these are all things to bear in mind.
Alternatively, you can also find milk chocolate and white chocolate-covered coffee beans. Sometimes, manufacturers will even produce mixed chocolate-covered espresso beans.
Most chocolate-covered espresso beans, even if you go organic, will contain other ingredients apart from the espresso bean and the chocolate.
These ingredients could include soy, milk, cocoa butter, flavorings, and more. Many of these ingredients present allergy risks for certain people, so it’s important to familiarize yourself with the ingredient label before you go through with your purchase.
Buyers should also consider any potential contamination risks. This happens when a food product is manufactured in the same factory or on the same belt as other products to which some people are allergic. This can include but is not limited to, milk, tree nuts, and soy. Always check the label to see if trace amounts of any ingredient are cautioned.
Chocolate-covered espresso beans come in various quantities, usually ranging from 1 to 5 lbs. However, smaller containers are also available, providing as little as 7 oz per purchase.
If you’ve tried chocolate-covered espresso beans and know you’ll enjoy them, or if you’re a big caffeine lover, you might want to choose one of the larger quantities on offer. On the other hand, if you want to try a product without spending too much money or risking any waste if you don’t like it, opt for a smaller quantity where you can.
Packaging is key to a good customer experience when buying chocolate-covered espresso beans. The wrong packaging can lead to your beans being more or less ruined before they even get to your home.
Good packaging should be air-tight and, if possible, chilled. This is because it’s not uncommon for chocolate to melt during transport, which will turn your individual espresso beans into a big messy lump. Therefore, it’s a good idea to prioritize packaging that comes packed in ice.
If your espresso beans come in a pouch as opposed to a jar, try to make sure the pouch is resealable. If possible, though, we do recommend that you buy chocolate-covered espresso beans in a jar. This is because a jar is a handy, reusable form of storage that will ensure your beans don’t get stale as long as you seal it properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
How are espresso beans different from regular coffee beans?
Espresso beans, in and of themselves, are actually no different from the regular coffee beans used to make drip coffee. Espresso does not refer to a specific variety of coffee beans.
What sets espresso beans apart from other coffee beans is the fact that they have been roasted at higher temperatures or for longer periods of time. This releases more flavor and aroma from the bean for a more intense taste experience.
Are chocolate-covered espresso beans bad for you?
Chocolate-covered espresso beans certainly aren’t the healthiest snack option in the world, but they don’t necessarily have to be bad for you, either.
As you can see from the products we have reviewed above, there are plenty of health-conscious options out there. Many manufacturers are making their products organic, GMO-free, sodium-free, and generally avoiding additives such as artificial flavors and colors.
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API