If you’re wanting to make quality coffee then a French press can be the perfect answer for you. A cost effective way of bringing top notch coffee into your own home, you’ll never have to worry about venturing to your local coffee shop on a daily basis ever again.
There are lots of different options available on the market which range in the strength of the coffee beans as well as various flavors so you won’t be stuck for choice. We’ve gathered the top seven coffee beans for French press that you should consider trying, followed by an exclusive Buyers Guide and FAQ so you know what to look out for when conducting your own research.
Here are the best coffee beans for French press that you should consider:
- 1 14 Best Coffee Beans For French Press
- 1.1 1. Stone Street Cold Brew Coffee
- 1.2 2. Lavazza Crema E Aroma Whole Bean Coffee Blend
- 1.3 3. Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend
- 1.4 4. Kicking Horse Coffee Medium Roast
- 1.5 5. Koffee Kult Coffee Beans Dark Roasted
- 1.6 6. Stumptown Coffee Roasters, French Roast Whole Bean Organic Coffee
- 1.7 7. DEATH WISH COFFEE Whole Bean Coffee
- 1.8 8. LifeBoost Organic Medium Roast Coffee
- 1.9 9. Kona Peaberry Dark Roast Coffee
- 1.10 10. Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend
- 1.11 11. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee
- 1.12 12. Lion Coffee
- 1.13 13. Coffee Bros Medium Roast
- 1.14 14. Koffee Kult Coffee
- 2 Buyers Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
14 Best Coffee Beans For French Press
1. Stone Street Cold Brew Coffee
Our first recommendation is the Stone Street Cold Brew Coffee which is a coarse ground coffee for cold brewing. Made from gourmet Arabica coffee beans from Colombia, this coffee is grinded to a perfect ground size for optimal extraction. Ideal for brewing in a French press, this coffee can also be brewed in a variety of different coffee makers making it highly versatile.
The beans are classified as supremo which means they are the largest and highest quality coffee beans from Colombia. When the beans have been dark roasted, it brings out the nutty and chocolate notes which makes a delicious tasting cup of coffee. The coffee has been specially formulated to make a bold, balanced, low avid, slightly sweet bew.
It can be adjusted to make it extra strong by adding more coffee or brewing for longer if desired.
What makes this our top pick is the three layer natural kraft bag that has been foil lined with a one way valve for optimal coffee freshness. The wide top opening makes for easy scooping and can hold five pounds of coffee.
Freshly roasted in Brooklyn, NYV, this small batch roaster has been making artisanal coffee since 2009 and garnered a positive reputation for their high quality ingredients and brewing methods.
- Ideal for brewing in a French press, this coffee can also be brewed in a variety of different coffee makers making it highly versatile
- When the beans have been dark roasted, it brings out the nutty and chocolate notes which makes a delicious tasting cup of coffee
- The three layer natural kraft bag that has been foil lined with a one way valve for optimal coffee freshness
- High price point
2. Lavazza Crema E Aroma Whole Bean Coffee Blend
Our second selection is the Lavazza Crema E Aroma Whole Bean Coffee Blend is a 2.2 pound bag filled with whole coffee beans. Balancing a medium roast with an intense, earthy flavor and a long lasting crema, this is great for those who want a richly flavored coffee.
Made using non-GMO ingredients, this coffee has been blended and roasted in Italy. It is suitable to use with Fresh press, drip coffee maker or espresso machines making it highly versatile.
The crema and aroma is a brilliantly balanced blend of carefully selected Arabica and Robusta beans with the long lasting creamy texture being ideal for milk based recipes and preparations. The intense and earthy flavor is loved by coffee drinkers thanks to the smooth, mellow and aromatic notes which makes it hugely popular.
- Made using non-GMO ingredients, this coffee has been blended and roasted in Italy
- Suitable to use with Fresh press, drip coffee maker or espresso machines making it highly versatile
- The crema and aroma is a brilliantly balanced blend of carefully selected Arabica and Robusta beans
- Can take a while to arrive
3. Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend
Our third choice is the Lavazza Super Crema Whole Bean Coffee Blend which is one 2.2 pound bag of whole coffee beans. The mild and creamy medium espresso roast features notes of hazelnuts and brown sugar and has been blended and roasted in Italy.
The taste profile is completely aromatic with a medium-light intensity that is perfect for those who don’t want an intense coffee in the morning. With a 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta composition, this coffee is made from the highest quality ingredients from around the world so you can have the best cup of coffee everyday.
This coffee has been produced in a nut-free facility center and contains only coffee. This option is perfect for those who want to try espresso but think that it may be too strong for them. A lighter option that will satisfy anyone’s taste buds.
The flowery and fruity notes add a soft texture and compact crema, the flavor profile is mainly composed of Arabica coffee beans and balances roasting and rich aromatic intensity.
- The mild and creamy medium espresso roast features notes of hazelnuts and brown sugar and has been blended and roasted in Italy
- The taste profile is completely aromatic with a medium-light intensity that is perfect for those who don’t want an intense coffee
- With a 60% Arabica and 40% Robusta composition, this coffee is made from the highest quality ingredients from around the world
- Not as smooth as other options
4. Kicking Horse Coffee Medium Roast
Our fourth recommendation is the Kicking Horse Coffee Medium Roast which is a medium roast, whole bean blend that has a chocolate taste for a rich and sweet taste.
With tasting notes of tart red currant, notes of sugarcane and milk chocolate with a honeyed berry body, this coffee is perfect for those with a sweet tooth who want to avoid a bitter tasting coffee.
Perfect for brewing via a French press, this coffee is extremely versatile and has been grown in a socially and environmentally responsible way by farmers with sustainable business practices.
This coffee is organic, fairtrade, kosher, shade grown using Arabica coffee beans which means that it is suitable for all sorts of household and dietary needs while also being responsible for those who are conscious of their food and drink source. Roasted in the Rocky Mountains, this coffee is deep, dark and delicious which is ideal for those who want a rich coffee in the morning.
- Features tasting notes of tart red currant, notes of sugarcane and milk chocolate with a honeyed berry body, this coffee is perfect for those with a sweet tooth
- Extremely versatile and has been grown in a socially and environmentally responsible way by farmers with sustainable business practices
- Organic, fairtrade, kosher, shade grown using Arabica coffee beans
- The flavor isn’t as complex as others which may not satisfy avid coffee drinkers
5. Koffee Kult Coffee Beans Dark Roasted
Our fifth selection is the Koffee Kult Coffee Beans Dark Roasted which is one of the freshest options on our list as the coffee bean small batch is packaged immediately and shipped hours after being roasted. The taste is strong but also has a smoothness that is rich and bold without tasting too bitter.
This is a fantastic choice for those who love gourmet coffees. Sourcing ingredients from Columbia, Guatemala and Sumatra, this coffee is made from rich and organic smooth, full bodied whole coffee beans. They are exotic raw beans from around the world which are then blended into precisely roasted coffee.
Easy to order with quick shipping, you’ll benefit greatly from the efficient service. Koffee Kult pride themselves on the quality of their customer service and ability to give you the best tasting coffee on the market.
The rich aroma lingers while whole, ground and brewing which will mean that you are immersed in the experience before you even taste the coffee. With various flavors including cinnamon as well as a heavy body that is smooth, this coffee is bright with a long finish.
- One of the freshest options on our list as the coffee bean small batch is packaged immediately and shipped hours after being roasted
- Sourcing ingredients from Columbia, Guatemala and Sumatra, this coffee is made from rich and organic smooth, full bodied whole coffee beans
- With various flavors including cinnamon as well as a heavy body that is smooth, this coffee is bright with a long finish
- The bag needs to be sealed with a clip when opened
6. Stumptown Coffee Roasters, French Roast Whole Bean Organic Coffee
Our penultimate choice is the Stumptown Coffee Roasters, French Roast Whole Bean Organic Coffee which is a toasty, organic blend that exaggerates the smoky and rich flavor thanks to the tasting notes of clove and bittersweet chocolate.
Every coffee bean has been expertly roasted to bring out the full potential in every cup of coffee. The innovative bag design keeps the coffee fresh for 90 days when left unopened. This coffee is best when consumed within two weeks of opening making it perfect for those who enjoy a daily cup of coffee.
Stumptown Coffee Roasters are focused on sustainability as they have achieved B Corp status in 2018 which means that you will be purchasing a coffee that makes positive contributions to the environment. Having a 20 year history of making high quality coffee, the brand is headquartered in Portland and sources the best ingredients from around the world.
- Is a toasty, organic blend that exaggerates the smoky and rich flavor thanks to the tasting notes of clove and bittersweet chocolate
- The innovative bag design keeps the coffee fresh for 90 days when left unopened
- Sources the best ingredients from around the world
- The coffee beans may not be the freshest depending on the bag
7. DEATH WISH COFFEE Whole Bean Coffee
Our final recommendation is the DEATH WISH COFFEE Whole Bean Coffee which is one of the strongest options in our list and perfect for those who want their coffee with a kick. This quality brew boasts the highest grade ingredients that is guaranteed to give you a richer cup of coffee on a daily basis.
This coffee has a smooth and subtle cherry and chocolate flavor profile which is ideal for those with a sweet tooth. Made from carefully selected premium Arabica and Robusta whole coffee beans from around the world which helps to deliver a dark roast coffee beverage with a distinct and bold taste.
This coffee comes in a 16 oz bag which is filled to the top with whole coffee beans that are Fair Trade and USDA Certified Organic which means that you are choosing a fair and organic business that is ideal for those who care about where their food and drink come from.
Death Wish Coffee guarantees that you will love their coffee so much that they guarantee a refund if you are dissatisfied with the product in any way so you don’t have to commit.
- Has a smooth and subtle cherry and chocolate flavor profile
- Made from carefully selected premium Arabica and Robusta whole coffee beans from around the world
- Guaranteed refund if you are dissatisfied with the product
- Does have a very strong taste which can be bitter for some people
Our first coffee comes in 3 different styles of roast, although I have decided to pick the medium roast as that is the best one for french press machines. This coffee comes from a single origin and you can be sure that you’ll be able to run water through this without it clumping or getting stuck in the machine – introducing LifeBoost Organic Medium Roast Coffee.
This coffee is free of any additional pesticides, so you won’t have to worry about it giving you a mild dose of poisoning. The flavor of this coffee is very light and sweet, with a wonderful profile that pairs very well with the lighter and sweeter foods. This coffee has a low amount of acid, so it is very easy on your teeth and digestive system.
This has passed every grade of certification that you can imagine, so you can count on a very luxurious and tasty cup of coffee at the end. This is also a great coffee bean for anyone who wants to start drinking coffee, as it is very mild on the tongue and won’t leave much of a bitter aftertaste.
- If this coffee is not to your taste, then the company will give you 100% of your money back without hesitation.
- This coffee is mild and light, with a light amount of acid that won’t erode your teeth or cause you stomach upset over time.
- This has a very clean flavor, with a single-origin coffee that will taste very natural to your palette.
- Not only is this coffee great for going into a french press, but it will leave you with a wonderful fresh feeling. This is great when paired with thick cream and sweet treats such as cake.
- The price – this is a lot more expensive than regular coffee, so you’ll have to make sure that you are genuinely committed to your french press before tasting.
This next coffee is from a brand renowned for creating premium coffee. This is very oily and rich, the french press bringing out the best flavors from your bean. This coffee is grown on American soil, so you can expect a rich and earthy flavor – introducing Kona Peaberry Dark Roast Coffee.
The bean of this coffee will absorb a large amount of water, which means that you’ll have a fuller flavor in your cup when the hot water is fully strained. This bean has a very shady flavor and is much stronger than your average French press coffee. This is one for people who know they like their coffee and prefer a strong flavor.
If you are ordering this from the US, this will also mean that the coffee will be fresher by the time it reaches you. This is because it will take less time shipping and having to go through the rigorous customs checks.
- This coffee has rich flavors and is very luxurious. You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need in this cup.
- This is great for a french press coffee, with an oily bean that will absorb more water and can be drained better through your beans.
- This is grown in the USA, so if you are ordering domestically, you can be sure that you’ll have a completely fresh cup of coffee on delivery.
- This has a great texture and consistency that will really transfer from your bean to the cup – if you like a strong and flavorful cup of coffee, then I would certainly recommend that you try this one.
- The price – because this coffee is considered quite a rare commodity, it comes with a very high price tag.
This next coffee is a dark roast, with a bean that is not only ideal for your french press, but will certainly give you that zing when you wake up in the morning. This will have a very smooth taste when you drink it, making it ideal for first-time coffee drinkers or people who like their coffee easy to drink – introducing Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend.
This is a coffee bean that will be shipped straight to your door, so you won’t have to worry about your coffee tasting dry and stale. This is very fast delivery with a professional service. You can order it on Monday and have it in your french press by Wednesday.
This coffee is very available, which means that it won’t be out of stock that often. You can bulk buy a lot of this coffee, although be sure to keep it in a sealed tupperware container so that the beans can stay fresh.
- This coffee is probably one of the most popular ones on this list, so you can get hooked on it without having to worry about shortages at a later date.
- This is a very smooth blend that goes perfectly well with your french press. This is probably one of the best-granulated coffees on our list.
- The price – this is probably the cheapest coffee that you can get on this list, so if you are keeping one eye on your wallet, I would suggest going for this coffee brand.
- This has a very strong aroma, so if you like your coffee strong, then I would recommend that you pick up a packet of this coffee today.
- This blend has been described as quite bland by some coffee enthusiasts, so make sure that you try it first before committing to making a regular purchase.
When it comes to original coffee flavors, you can’t go wrong with Ethiopian coffee. This stuff is one of the most distinctive flavors that you can currently get on the market, with a distinctive fruity texture that might not be for everybody, but will certainly leave a very distinctive impression – introducing Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee.
This stuff is a medium roast, which will make it very accommodating for a milder palette. I would recommend that you choose this coffee if you want to ease your way into the world of caffeine. Sometimes this coffee can be very hit or miss, but I recommend that you try it at least once.
This coffee is made to order, so you can expect a fresh batch waiting for you on arrival. These coffees have almost a strawberry or blueberry style of flavor to them, which makes them a great accompaniment for sweet treats such as cakes. You can enjoy this one black or with milk, with a lot of people saying that they love the distinctive taste as it comes.
- This is a great coffee to put in your french press, not only will it be easily ground, but it will release a lot of flavors when it is done.
- This is an heirloom coffee, so that means that it is very rare. If you are a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to coffee, then you won’t want to have this as a gap on your CV.
- This coffee can be roasted to order, so whatever your preference, you can be sure that this company will deliver what you want and to your particular preference.
- This is a very distinctive coffee taste that you should definitely try if you are looking to experience the entire gamut of coffees.
- This flavor is very intense and certainly will not be to everyone’s liking. I would suggest that you pick up one packet to start with before buying it regularly.
12. Lion Coffee
This next coffee is another very light and creamy one, with coconut flavors in there that will certainly pack a punch. This is one of the tastiest coffees that you can currently get on the market, with softer beans that are designed for the french press. These beans can be enjoyed on their own – introducing Lion Coffee.
This is a well-priced coffee, so you won’t have to worry about spending all your wages to get a decent brew every month. This coffee has been likened to a dessert, with a very thick body and hefty flavor palette. You can pair this one with a pastry and a side of milk, giving you a decent caffeine boost for those sluggish Monday mornings.
- This is one of the best coffees that you can get on the market, earning itself an award for the best Hawaiin coffee.
- This is a very creamy and light coffee bean, making it a great option for anyone that is trying coffee for the very first time. This does not have the bitter taste that characterizes a lot of coffee.
- This is a very balanced aroma, with a scent that will fill the house after you have brewed it. This will leave your small apartment smelling great.
- This contains coconut flavoring that might not be to everyone’s taste. It also has some artificial flavors, which might not be for the refined palette.
This next coffee is one that you can be sure conforms to ethical practices and standards, this company makes it their number one mission to ensure that coffee farmers get fair pay for their produce. This is a family business, so you can be sure that all your cash is going back into the business – introducing Coffee Bros Medium Roast.
- This is a very fruity and nutty coffee, not only will it give you that boost in the morning, but it will also have plenty of rich flavors.
- You can get this one from Amazon, making it one of the more accessible coffee brands that you can currently find on the market.
- This is not a chain store, all the profits that this company makes will go straight back into the company.
- You will only be able to get this coffee from Amazon, which might make your options limited. Also, the ethical benefits might be slightly offset by giving your money to Amazon.
Our final coffee is an amazing dark roast, with a family-owned and operated brand that makes a real effort to ship your coffee out to you the way that you want it. This is roasted in a very environmentally friendly manner, without losing any flavor – introducing the Koffee Kult Coffee.
- This coffee comes with a blend of beans, from Guatemala to Arabica. This gives you a very unique flavor that will sit nicely on your tongue after drinking.
- This has a larger bean, meaning that it will absorb much more water.
- This coffee bean is very easy to order, giving you everything that you need for a delicious cup of coffee at the end of the day.
- This is a dark-roasted coffee, which might not be that appealing to a lot of people.
Researching which coffee bean is going to be best for you is going to be all about personal preference and how you like your coffee. However, regardless of your own preferences, there are certain factors that you should always consider when doing your own research.
Always think about how much coffee you want to purchase, the strength of the coffee, any flavor that you want to try and your budget. Once you’ve weighed these points against your own requirements, you’ll be in a position where you can start creating your own delicious cups of coffee.
How much coffee you want to buy is the first thing you should consider. Coffee tends to be sold by the pound, especially when you are dealing with freshly ground coffee. Freshly ground coffee lasts a long time and will always give you a rich flavor.
If you plan to have a lot of coffee on a daily basis then buying more in bulk will save you more money in the long run. However, if you are wanting to see what flavors you like, you can always purchase a smaller amount which means you’re not committed to drinking lots of cups of the same flavor.
After you decide how much coffee you want to purchase, always think about the strength of the coffee. If you’re not a big coffee drinker then going for a strong blend probably isn’t going to be right for you whereas if you want a higher caffeine content then stronger blends are more likely going to give you that.
The strength of the coffee will dictate how rich and aromatic the overall taste is. If you’re unsure where to start then medium blends are the perfect first choice and you can gauge it from there.
The flavor of the coffee is another thing that you always need to think about. Different from the strength of the coffee, this relates to any additional flavoring such as vanilla, chocolate or cinnamon to name a few. Whatever your personal preference is, there is a coffee to satisfy every taste bud.
Of course, you can always choose a regular coffee that doesn’t have any additional flavors but for those who want the caffeine kick without the strong coffee taste, a flavored option can be the right choice for you.
Lastly, always think about your budget. This mainly relates to how much coffee you want to purchase but coffee in general can be quite costly, especially if you are wanting to support local businesses. If you’re unsure what flavor you want to get, you can always buy smaller quantities which is ideal for those on a strict budget.
How Fresh Is The Coffee?
One of the main things that you can count on for the diminishing of flavor is the amount of time it takes to be delivered to your home. If your coffee takes over a week to get to you, then you can guarantee that it will arrive dry and very tasteless.
How Much Coffee Is there?
Obviously, if you are buying in bulk, you’ll need to consider the price point. If you are getting as much coffee you can for as little as possible, then this will be a bonus. However, make sure you have an airtight container to store the spare coffee to make sure that it stays fresh for longer.
Who Is Roasting Your Coffee?
You’ll be more inclined to want to give money to a small, family-run business rather than a large corporation. These companies are more likely to reward loyalty and give regular customers good deals on coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use coffee beans in a French press?
The best kind of coffee beans to use in a French press is freshly ground coffee which will help to create a richer and aromatic flavor. A lot of French presses can also withstand plenty of coarse coffee grounds which provide more consistency and balance in the flavor.
Whatever you choose, if it has been made with the French press in mind then you’re guaranteed to have the best tasting coffee with every cup.
Does French press coffee have more caffeine?
Although espresso is seen as one of the strongest coffees thanks to its concentrated consistency, French press coffees tend to have more caffeine as it contains 107.5mg per 8 ounce cup which means that it has more caffeine than a one small shot of espresso.
What Is A French Press?
This is where your coffee is placed at the bottom of a metal or glass urn, which has a plunger in the top. You then press down the plunger, which separates the coffee ground from the water. The finer the grind, then the more likely it will give you a lovely smooth coffee with plenty of flavor.
We would recommend French press for someone who might be in a hurry in the morning, needing a strong slug of coffee before they head off to the office.
Last update on 2022-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API