If you’re anything like us, waking up to fresh coffee is more a necessity than a choice – there’s nothing quite like the aroma of coffee to awaken you from your morning stupor.
Coffee machines today offer a wealth of features that aim to make the home brewing process simple and efficient. One of the handiest features in a coffee machine is the auto shut-off feature, which automatically turns off the machine when it hasn’t been used for a specific period of time – usually around 1 hour.
Fires triggered by coffee makers are more common than you might think, which is why an auto shut-off feature should be an essential feature in your new coffee machine. Not only will this help you save electricity and money on your bills, but it will also provide you with peace of mind, as you won’t have to stress about turning off the machine before heading out to work.
Thankfully, we’ve done the hard work for you, and have sourced the 7 best coffee makers on the market with an auto shut-off feature. This way, you don’t have to scour the internet looking for one. We’ve also added a buyer’s guide and FAQ section to ensure you have all the information you need in one place.
- 1 7 Best Coffee Maker with Auto Shut Off
- 1.1 Black+Decker CM1160B-1 CM1160B 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- 1.2 BOSCARE 12 Cup Coffee Maker Programmable Drip Coffee Maker:
- 1.3 Nostalgia RCOF12AQ Retro 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- 1.4 Mueller Austria Ultra Brew Thermal Coffee Maker, 8 cup (34oz) Carafe
- 1.5 Gevi 4-Cup Coffee Maker with Auto-Shut Off
- 1.6 SHARDOR Drip Coffee Maker, 12 Cup Programmable Brew Coffee Machine 3.0
- 1.7 Mr. Coffee Advanced Brew 5 Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
- 2 Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
7 Best Coffee Maker with Auto Shut Off
This Black+Decker 12-cup coffee maker is not only one of the most affordable on the market, but it’s also one of the most highly-rated coffee machines. It has a 2-hour auto shut-off for added safety and peace of mind every time you use it, as well as a sneak-a-cup feature which temporarily stops the flow of coffee so you can pour yourself a coffee before brewing ends.
It also has digital controls with rubberized buttons for more grip and control as well as an easy-read screen that displays the clock, brew time, and programming options. The easy-view water window allows you to see how much water is left, and the ‘keep hot’ carafe plate heats up to keep your coffee warm for an hour after brewing is over.
- Brews in under 5 minutes
- 2-hour auto shut-off
- Sneak-a-cup feature
- Easy-view water window
- Keeps coffee warm for an hour
- Due to the efficient brewing process, some people found the coffee lacking in strength
- Digital Controls with Rubberized Feel - Large, rubberized buttons give you full control of the coffeemaker, and the easy-read screen displays the clock, brew time, and programming options
- Sneak-a-Cup - This feature temporarily stops the flow of coffee so you can pour your first cup before brewing ends without making a mess
- 2-Hour Auto Shutoff - For added safety and peace of mind with every use. Volts : 120V/60Hz
This Boscare 12-cup coffee maker has a sturdy glass and metal construction for optimal durability, and it also has a 2-hour auto shut-off feature for safety and a warming plate with a non-stick coating to keep your coffee warm.
This coffee maker has several other features to make the brewing process convenient and efficient, including a timer that allows you to set brew time up to 24 hours in advance, a large visual water reservoir, a pause & serve option, a removable filter basket, and a permanent filter that’s easy to clean. It also has 6 easy-to-use buttons that allow you to program your coffee machine and alter the strength to suit your taste.
- Sturdy design
- 24-hour programmable timer
- Non-stick warming plate
- 2-hour auto shut-off
- Programmable controls and multiple brewing options
- Some people say this brews 10 cups rather than 12
If you’re somebody who looks for appliances that have aesthetic appeal, as well as functionality, look no further than this retro-inspired 12-cup coffee maker from Nostalgia. It has a beautiful vintage blue color and will stand out in any kitchen. It has a programmable 24-hour clock and delay timer that allows you to schedule your brewing so you can have hot coffee when you wake up, which is perfect for those who struggle to get out of bed in the morning.
It also has a two-hour automatic shut-off to ensure safety, as well as an automatic keep-warm function that keeps the coffee warm for two hours. The carafe has an anti-drip design to make pouring mess-free, and the pause & serve feature allows you to pour coffee while it’s still brewing without making a mess.
- Vintage aesthetic
- 2-hour auto shut-off
- Delay timer and programmable 24-hour clock
- Pause & serve feature
- Anti-drip carafe
- No water measurements on the carafe
- 12-cup capacity: Brews up to 12-cups of coffee at a time, making it ideal for everyday use and entertaining
- Programmable: The programmable 24-hour clock and delay timer allows you to schedule your brewing so you can have hot coffee when you wake up
- Pause & serve: Need your coffee ASAP. The pause & serve feature lets you pour a cup while coffee is still brewing
Meuller is an Austrian brand, so with this coffee maker, you’re getting a quality European design that’s made of durable stainless steel. The thermal carafe gives you double insulated warmth, and it’s also shatter-resistant so you needn’t be cautious as with a glass carafe.
There’s an auto shut-off feature and a pre-set timer so you can conveniently schedule your morning brew, plus the one-button operation makes this coffee maker satisfyingly easy to use, allowing you to make delicious coffee with minimal effort. It’s equipped with a large LCD display and a quick touch programming function, as well as a permanent filter so you can save money on paper coffee filters.
- Sturdy, shatter-proof construction
- Thermal carafe to keep your coffee warm
- Auto shut-off
- One-button operation
- Pre-set timer for your morning coffee
- Due to the carafe being stainless steel, you can’t see how much water is left in it
- Start Your Day Right – One button. That’s all it takes. Welcome the satisfying aroma and taste of freshly brewed coffee with a full pot in less than ten minutes. Our coffee maker is designed to...
- Simple Interface And Permanent Filter – Equipped with a large LCD display and quick touch programming function, the drip coffee maker is super easy to use. It has one permanent coffee filter so you...
- Delay Brew Function – If you don’t have time to prepare your coffee in the morning, the convenient pre-set timer can be quickly configured to schedule an auto-brew time for you within a 24-hour...
If you’re looking for a small coffee maker which won’t take up much space on your kitchen counter, look no further than this Gevi 4-cup coffee maker. It’s super easy to use thanks to its one-touch brewing system, while the 700W fast boil drip extraction produces flavorful coffee in just 4-6 minutes. After brewing, the non-stick warming plate keeps your coffee warm for 2 hours before shutting off automatically for boil-dry protection.
The stainless steel design provides durability combined with style, and the swing-out brew basket provides easy access and is minimally designed for easier cleaning. The detachable filter, funnel, and coffee pot can all be cleaned in the dishwasher for ultimate convenience, and the 30-second anti-drip device ensures no more messy spills on your counters.
- Compact size is ideal for smaller kitchens
- Efficient brewing process
- Auto shut-off after 2 hours
- Swing-out brew basket for easy access
- Easy to clean
- Some people found that the carafe is difficult to pour and spills easily
- 【ONE-TOUCH BREWING】 - Easy to use. Just press the ON/OFF Button to brew. Enjoy flavorful coffee in minutes. 4 Cup capacity (600ml) brewer, perfect for home and family use.
- 【SWING-OUT DESIGN】 - The brew basket is easier to access from the front than a top load basket. It swivels out quickly and the basket holder is minimally designed for easier cleaning.
- 【COMPACT SIZE】 - Stainless steel decor provides great addition to complement your modern kitchen and office. Compact machine takes up less counter space.
This 12-cup drip coffee maker from Shardor allows you to program your coffee 24 hours in advance, and the carafe plate will keep your coffee warm for 2 hours before automatically entering safe and energy-saving stand-by mode. One of the benefits of this coffee maker is that you can adjust the brew strength to your liking – ideal for those who prefer a stronger brew and tend to be disappointed by home-brewed coffee.
The coffee maker’s LCD control panel displays the brewing mode, brewing time, and strength, so you always know the settings and status of your coffee. There’s also an anti-drip system that enables you to pause and pour mid-brew without creating a mess. The front-facing window allows you to easily view the exact amount of water that will turn into coffee, while the Duralife glass coffee pot has an easy-grip handle for maximum comfort when pouring.
- 24-hour advance timer
- Keeps your coffee warm for 2 hours and then automatically shuts off
- Adjustable brew strength
- LCD control panel to view settings
- Front-facing water window to easily check measurements
- Some people had issues with leaking and overflowing
- 24 Hours Programmable: Program your coffee up to 24 hours in advance, ensuring that a fresh, hot cup of coffee is available as soon as you wake up in the morning.
- Keep Warm: The carafe plate keeps coffee warm for 2 hours after brewing is complete. You can drink a follow-up cup without having to brew it again.
- Adjustability Brew Strength: Brew strength selector pumps up a stronger flavor if you like a bolder taste.
Mr. Coffee is one of the leading coffee maker manufacturers on the market, so it’s no surprise that we’ve featured their 5-cup programmable design on our list. This conveniently sized coffee maker allows you to set brew time ahead so you can wake up to freshly brewed coffee, and it also has a handy Grab-A-Cup Auto-Pause option that stops the cycle so you can grab a cup before the brewing process has finished.
It has a 1-hour automatic shut-off so you needn’t worry about turning off the machine before you leave home and a water window that allows you to see the exact water level as you fill, reducing the risk of spills. This lightweight, compact design doesn’t take up much space so it’s ideal for small kitchens or limited counter space, and it also has a Lift & Clean filter basket for fast and easy cleaning.
- Convenient compact 5-cup design
- Grab-A-Cup auto-pause feature
- Water window to monitor levels as you pour
- Removable filter basket for quick and easy cleanup
- For some people, the 1-hour shut-off is a bit short
- Delay Brew timer lets you brew ahead of time, so you can wake up to fresh brewed coffee. Cord length: 26 inches
- Grab A Cup Auto Pause stops cycle if you need a cup before brewing is finished
- Water window allows visibility as you fill no more overflows. Removable filter basket for quick and easy cleanup
All of the coffee makers on our list feature an auto shut-off feature, which means the machine automatically turns off, or goes into energy-saving standby mode, after 1-2 hours.
In our opinion, auto shut-off is handy because it provides peace of mind and you don’t need to stress about remembering to turn the coffee maker off. One thing to consider is the duration of time before the auto shut-off kicks in, as this will also determine how long your coffee is kept warm.
If you like to drink several cups of coffee or if your machine will be used by the entire family, it’s a good idea to get a coffee maker which automatically shuts off after at least 2 hours. 1 hour may not keep your coffee warm for long enough and will mean you have to turn it back on and brew again to heat it up.
The size of the coffee machine you opt for will depend on how many people it needs to cater to, as well as how many cups of coffee you and your other family members like to drink in one go.
If one cup is enough to wake you up in the morning, a one- or two-cup drip model or a single-serve machine may suffice. If your family or partner will also be using the machine, a 4-5 cup coffee maker, or a larger 10 to 12 cup one will be more convenient. Also bear in mind that while many large models claim to brew 10 to 12 cups, typically a “cup” is really only 5 to 6 ounces, not 8.
Durability and materials
Due to the plethora of coffee machines on the market, there are many different materials to choose from, and these will affect how durable the coffee maker is.
While plastic is lightweight and cheap to buy, these coffee makers will feel less sturdy than metal ones. Stainless steel usually has the advantage of being strong and shatter-resistant while also providing a stylish look, so these are usually a good choice.
Some carafes are made from insulated stainless steel, and while this is great for keeping your coffee warm, such designs may not feature a water window, which is one thing to bear in mind.
Programmable coffee makers are convenient as they offer a greater range of features so that you can adapt your coffee brewing process to your liking. However, some programmable coffee makers feature more options than others.
For example, if you’re somebody who likes strong coffee, ensure that your coffee maker comes with a strength adjuster, or if you want to program your coffee maker to automatically brew your coffee in the mornings, look for one with a pre-set timer.
Other handy features include a Grab-A-Cup option, which will temporarily pause the brewing process to allow you to grab a cup of coffee before it’s finished brewing.
One thing to think about when choosing a coffee maker is how easy it is to clean. While some sophisticated designs are equipped with convenient self-cleaning cycles, many of the simpler designs will require manual cleaning.
Check how easy it is to access the filter basket, as well as whether or not the parts are dishwasher safe. Cleaning your coffee machine will allow it to last longer, and will ensure optimal tasting coffee, so this is pretty important.
Everyone has different budgets and ideas about how much they want to spend on a coffee machine, and the good news is that there’s a coffee maker with auto shut-off out there for every budget – ranging from around the twenty bucks mark to into the hundreds.
There are also some great affordable coffee makers that boast similar features to the more expensive ones. When choosing a coffee maker, think about its size, durability, and the number of features it offers – these will all affect the cost.
Why auto shut-off?
- Provides peace of mind
- Eliminates fire and safety risks
- Prevents wasted electricity
- Prevents burnt coffee and a burnt pot
- Save money on your electricity bill
Frequently Asked Questions
Do all coffee makers have auto shut off?
While most modern coffee makers have this feature, not all of them do. Some will instead just feature a light indicator to remind you to turn the machine off, so ensure you double-check that the coffee maker you opt for definitely has an auto shut-off feature.
Is it dangerous to leave a coffee maker on?
The answer to this is yes – if the coffee maker is left on for a long time.
The typical coffee pot uses electricity to power a heating element, and that heating element has the potential to cause damage if not monitored properly. This could not only result in the coffee itself burning, but also the surrounding objects. Although it would take quite a while, flammable items such as napkins could catch fire if exposed to enough heat.
The heat of your coffee pot could also damage the electrical wiring. If left unattended for long enough, the wire casing could melt and expose the inner wiring, creating an even greater risk.
Does a coffee maker use a lot of electricity?
Another reason for opting for a coffee maker with auto shut-off is that coffee makers can use a lot of electricity. According to Computer World, coffee makers typically draw 1,000 watts while in use and if they’re a glass carafe style, they’re using a similar amount to keep your coffee warm.
What happens if I leave my coffee maker on all day?
First of all, your coffee won’t be in great shape! The steam that rises from hot coffee causes it to become stronger and thicker and may add a nasty burnt flavor. But this is the least of your worries. If left on all day, you may even burn your coffee pot, which is especially possible if there was little to no coffee left in the pot.
It’s also a waste of electricity and can even be a potential fire hazard, so whatever you do, opt for an auto shut-off machine, or remember to always turn your coffee maker off!
Do coffee makers overheat?
There have been certain brands of coffee makers that have been prone to overheating due to their wiring and have even been known to cause fires.
According to Total Recall Info, approximately 145,000 Kenmore and Kenmore Elite coffee makers caused fires by the wiring overheating and had to be recalled as of 2008.
Last update on 2021-12-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API