If you’re tired of constantly drinking coffee with the same taste and want to give your tastebuds something new, cinnamon is the way to go. Adding cinnamon to your regular coffee is not only delicious but also provides you with many health benefits. So if you want to spice up your coffee, you’ve come to the right place!
The smell of cinnamon brings back the memories of lovely autumns and cozy winters by the fireplace. But, who would have guessed that adding cinnamon to your coffee would be a total game-changer? Aside from being an antioxidant, it also has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which help your body fight all kinds of microorganisms.
One excellent aspect of cinnamon coffee is that it is easy to make at home. This recipe is super simple and takes only a few essential ingredients that you can find in your kitchen pantry. I’ve also included some tips and tricks at the end. So, what are you waiting for? Gather your ingredients, and let’s begin!
What You’ll Need
- ½ cup of ground medium to dark roasted coffee
- ¼ tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon of brown sugar (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks and sprinkled cinnamon (optional)
Step #1: Add Cinnamon to Ground Coffee
Start by mixing cinnamon and ground beans in a bowl. As only a tiny amount of cinnamon goes a long way, begin by adding a pinch. If you’re still not satisfied, you can always add more to your liking.
Step #2: Brew Your Coffee
Next, pour in hot water and brew your coffee as you normally would. You can either use a brewer or a coffee machine for this step. There’s no hard and fast rule, so you choose whichever method you prefer and brew as directed.
Step #3: Strain Your Coffee
After you’re done brewing, strain your coffee into a mug by using a filter to leave behind any residue, and your freshly brewed cinnamon coffee is ready! The above three steps are the main ones. You can either leave it here and enjoy your cinnamon coffee or follow the additional step if you want to enhance the flavor.
Step #4: Use Whipped Cream, Sprinkled Cinnamon, or Brown Sugar (Optional)
Once you’re done pouring your coffee, you can garnish it with whipped cream or steamed milk. Also, top it with sprinkled cinnamon to make your coffee more strong. You can even add brown sugar to your cinnamon coffee if you want your coffee to taste sweet and decadent!
Method #2: Use Cinnamon Sticks
There are essentially two ways to make cinnamon coffee. I have described the most common one that people prefer. But read on to learn the other way.
For this method, you will need to brew your coffee as usual. Then, stir a cinnamon stick into your freshly-brewed coffee. It will add flavor to your coffee in an instant. People generally employ this method when they’re in a rush but want to add a little spice to their coffee.
Tips and Tricks for Making Cinnamon Coffee
While you may know how to make regular coffee, brewing cinnamon coffee takes a few extra tricks. With these tips, you’ll become an expert at preparing a delicious mug of cinnamon coffee in no time!
- Mixing ground cinnamon into your roasted coffee grounds decreases the strength of your coffee. If you’re going for a cup of strong coffee, you might want to consider adding an extra spoon of coffee grounds before brewing.
- Opt for medium to dark roast coffee grounds to get the precise middle ground that provides the right taste and richness to your coffee.
- When straining your coffee, use a paper filter to keep the grounds out and the coffee from becoming hazy. Never use a metal filter because ground cinnamon will get trapped, and cleaning will be harder.
- Begin by adding a pinch or two of cinnamon grinds. If you wish to add more, use one to two teaspoons. This is entirely up to personal choice, and there is no right or wrong quantity of cinnamon to add to your coffee. However, try to use it sparingly to avoid overpowering the taste of your coffee.
- While serving, you can add a few extra ingredients to your cinnamon coffee to enhance its flavor. Again, this is a personal choice. You can opt for whipped cream, brown sugar, and different kinds of milk.
Benefits of Cinnamon Coffee
While you may be using cinnamon just to add a bit of spice to your coffee, it actually comes with many health benefits!
- Cinnamon is high in antioxidants, which assist my body in getting rid of free radicals, which cause various health problems. Cinnamon in coffee helps to inhibit free radicals from causing damage to my body.
- Cinnamon coffee reduces the risk of heart failure by preventing the blockage of arteries that supply blood to the heart.
- It helps you lose weight because it naturally balances your insulin levels. A spike in insulin causes you to feel hungry. As a result, adding cinnamon will reduce appetite and lead to weight loss.
- It also possesses antifungal and antibacterial qualities, which help combat infections, dental decay, and bad breath.
Cinnamon provides a wonderful spicy flavor to your brewed coffee. With this delightful recipe, you can now easily brew flavorful cinnamon coffee at home with only a few ingredients and a few minutes.
Mix a bit of ground cinnamon into your coffee grinds. Then, make your coffee as usual, either with a French Press, Aeropress, or automated drip. For added flavor, sprinkle your drink with more cinnamon or some whipped cream. Soon you will have a tasty cup of cinnamon coffee waiting to warm you up on a cold winter morning!