A cup of espresso before lectures can help you remain awake and alert. With an espresso machine, you can brew espresso from the comfort of your room. The best espresso machine for college students is small and compact, fitting in the small college dorm spaces.
- My Top Espresso Machines for College Students
- Features to Consider for the Best Espresso Machine for College Students
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
My Top Espresso Machines for College Students
The best espresso machine for college students features a sturdy and reliable construction that can withstand intense use for several years without breaking. These espresso machines have an easy-to-use control panel that beginners can use without hassle.
Best Overall Espresso Machine for College Students: Ninja CM401 Specialty Coffee Maker
The Ninja CM401 Specialty Coffee Maker comes with six brew sizes from a travel mug, cup, half carafe, full carafe, XL Cup to a multi-serve travel mug, enhancing flexibility even when brewing coffee with friends.
Like the De’Longhi EC155 Espresso Machine, it features a stainless steel construction that can withstand mishandling by friends without breaking.
Unlike the Nestlé Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Maker, the coffee blooming capability ensures you enjoy a high-profile flavor of the coffee. However, the glass carafe gets cold quickly, and you have to transfer the coffee in a mug if you’re drinking coffee while doing assignments.
- It is versatile, allowing you to brew a wide range of brew sizes
- The foldable frother allows brewing latte and other milk-based coffee drinks
- The glass carafe does not retain the heat for long, and you will have to drink immediately
- The water system sometimes stops working, forcing you to restart the brew every few seconds
- 4 BREW STYLES: Select from one of the four, versatile brew styles: Classic, Rich, Over Ice, or...
- SPECIALTY BREWS: Brew a super-rich coffee concentrate that you can use to create delicious lattes,...
- MAKE ICED COFFEE: Brew fresh over ice for flavorful iced coffee that's never watered down.
Best Compact Espresso Machine for College Students: Nestlé Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Maker
The Nestlé Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Maker features a small and compact design, making it suitable for students with limited space in their rooms.
Unlike the De’Longhi EC155 Espresso Machine, it can brew espresso in various sizes, such as single and double shots, enhancing versatility if you have friends in your room. This machine is easy and convenient to operate with a one-touch brewing system, making it ideal for beginners.
Unlike the Ninja CM401 Specialty Coffee Maker, this machine is only compatible with Nespresso virtual capsules, which might be unavailable near your college.
- The machine is compact, making it ideal where room space is an issue
- It allows brewing various types of coffee drinks at a push of a button, making it ideal for beginners
- The machine is made of plastic, making it prone to breakage
- Considering that it does not include a milk frother, it is unsuitable for milk-based coffee drinks
- Item Package Dimension: 15.3L x 15.1W x 9.39H inches
- Item Package Weight - 12 Pounds
- Item Package Quantity - 1
Best Versatile Espresso Machine for College Students: De’Longhi ec155 Espresso Machine
If you’re looking for a sturdy espresso machine, you can’t go wrong with the De'Longhi EC155 espresso machine. Like the Ninja CM401 Specialty Coffee Maker, the stainless steel construction is durable.
Unlike the Nestlé Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Maker, it is compatible with the normal ground coffee and E.S.E coffee pods. It comes with a removable dishwasher-safe water tank and drip tray, ensuring easy cleaning even when using cold water.
However, with a prolonged heating time of 15 minutes, it’s unsuitable for use when you have a limited time between lectures.
- The removable water tank and drip tray ensures ease of cleaning
- The versatility on the type of coffee to use allows you to use the available coffee ground
- There is only a little room under the portafilter, making this machine unsuitable for brewing using a mug
- The long heating time makes it unsuitable for use when you have limited time between lecturers
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing...
- EVERY CUP TO YOUR LIKING: 15-bar professional pressure assures quality results every time, and...
- BREW LIKE A PRO: Whatever your preference – single or double espresso, cappuccino or latte – the...
Features to Consider for the Best Espresso Machine for College Students
Espresso machines vary in construction materials, size, capacity, and design. Some of them might even include a milk frother and others not. The following table breaks down these features for better understanding.
|Nestlé Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Maker
|5.59 x 16.88 x 12.79
|De’Longhi EC155 Espresso Machine
|12.2 x 19.3 x 15
|Ninja CM401 Specialty Coffee Maker
|11.99 x 8.75 x 15.04
Ease of Cleaning
An espresso machine comes into contact with coffee grounds, and so it needs regular cleaning. The ease of cleaning depends on the construction material and whether it has removable parts such as the drip tray and water reservoir.
In most cases, college students are often short of time, and they will always try to maximize their free time doing assignments and studying for examinations. Therefore, purchasing an espresso machine that is easy to clean saves them much time and stress.
An espresso machine that uses stainless steel in its construction, such as the De’Longhi EC155 Espresso Machine, has removable parts, ensuring ease of cleaning. Additionally, it features a built-in cleaning alert that allows you to know when to descale it.
An espresso machine’s reliability, durability, and sturdiness greatly depend on the build quality. College students require an espresso machine that will take them throughout semesters and withstand mishandling by comrades without breaking.
An ideal espresso machine should feature sturdy materials such as stainless steel and aluminum for durability and reliability. For instance, the stainless steel Ninja CM401 Specialty Coffee Maker is sturdy and durable.
The size of an espresso machine simply refers to the external dimensions of the machine. Size is a crucial feature to consider, considering that many colleges have small room spaces.
Even if you might not be sharing a room with another person, you cannot compare it with the kitchen space of a typical home.
For instance, the Nestlé Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Maker features a cylindrical design and a sleek form factor of 5.59 x 16.88 x 12.79 inches, making it the best option for college students with limited room spaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should I Descale My Espresso Machine?
An espresso machine requires descaling after every month of use. If going on vacation, it is advisable to descale your machine to prevent mineral build-up. Mineral build-up in the espresso machine damages the machine and ruins the espresso taste with time.
Which Type of Coffee Is Ideal for College Students?
Coffee pods are the ideal type of coffee for college students as they can last up to around eight months. They are tightly sealed, protecting them from moisture and oxygen. Ground coffee does not last long as they are sealed in airtight bags, which are not easy to store after opening.
The best espresso machine for college students should be easy to use and clean, even for beginners. The machine should be compact to fit in the limited dorm spaces without inconveniences. Although the best espresso machine will depend on your preference, the above machines are sturdy and durable.