Waking up in the morning can be a difficult and uncomfortable task, especially if you have to wake up early for work and your eyes are still heavy with a night’s worth of sleep. That is why many of us drink coffee, as it is a quick and effective way to keep us energized throughout the day.
Although coffee can taste amazing and is brimming with caffeine, drinking the morning beverage can also come with some negatives. The most pressing is the low quality of many commercial coffee brands, with certain coffee blends hardly delivering any taste or aroma.
So if you have been looking for a top-quality coffee that ensures a rich and distinctive flavour, then the only brand I can recommend is Allegro. Established in Colorado, the Allegro coffee company has been brewing its organic blends since 1977 and is the top choice at Whole Foods Market.
These days the company produces a variety of different blends, each with its unique taste and smell. So if you don’t know which coffee to sample, then I have selected the 7 best allegro coffees currently available for online purchase.
Here you will find everything you need to know about the blends I have selected, as well as their various pros and cons. I have also compiled an informative buyer’s guide, to help aid you in your decision.
- 7 Best Allegro Coffee
- Allegro Coffee Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
7 Best Allegro Coffee
For the first entry on our list, I have chosen the classic Allegro breakfast blend, the perfect organic coffee to enjoy during those groggy and early mornings. This traditional whole bean blend has been made using organic and sustainably sourced ingredients. It is also a light roast coffee that promises to deliver subtle notes of milk chocolate, caramel and citrus fruit.
Overall, the Allegro breakfast blend is considered a bright and bitter coffee, which has been slowly roasted to showcase the blend’s high mountain acidity, as well as its energetic and lively aroma. Featuring ethically sourced coffee beans that have been grown by organically certified farms, this aromatic blend is the ideal pick-me-up for any busy working day.
- Organic Ingredients: Allegro breakfast blend is made using only organic and sustainably sourced ingredients, which helps to give it a powerful and natural flavour.
- Whole Bean Coffee: This particular blend is a whole bean coffee, which has been made using ethically sourced coffee beans and can be enjoyed by coffee lovers and casual drinkers alike.
- Energetic Flavour: Allegro breakfast blend is considered an energetic blend and delivers subtle undertones of milk chocolate, caramel and citrus fruit.
- Short Shelf Life: Unfortunately, I did have a bag of coffee with a very short shelf life after it was delivered.
If you are the kind of person who enjoys drinking a cappuccino or latte in the morning, then you need to consider purchasing a packet of Allegro espresso sierra. This rich and luscious whole bean blend delivers a full-bodied coffee that is brimming with powerful and aromatic flavours.
Made from organic and ethically sourced coffee beans and ingredients, this particular blend is said to carry complex notes of dark chocolate and caramel.
Produced using a deep roast, Allegro espresso sierra is a heady coffee blend that promises to deliver a layered morning beverage that is brewing with a variety of flavours and aromas. This particular blend of coffee is ideal for making delicious cappuccinos and lattes, and can also be enjoyed as a straight espresso.
So if you prefer your coffee dark and full of flavour, this particular blend is the perfect choice for you.
- Full-Bodied Coffee: Allegro espresso sierra is considered a full-bodied coffee that produces a layered beverage brimming with complex notes of dark chocolate and caramel.
- Ethical Ingredients: The particular blend of coffee has been made using organic and ethically sourced coffee beans, which have been deeply roasted for a rich and luscious flavour.
- Versatile Blend: Allegro espresso sierra is a versatile blend of coffee that can be used to mix up cappuccinos and lattes. The blend can also be enjoyed as a straight espresso.
- Powerful Taste: Although the blend is considered a medium roast, I think the flavour may be too powerful for casual and newbie coffee drinkers.
There’s no denying that our planet is currently a mess, not only is the natural environment being slowly destroyed but poverty is also rife in numerous third-world countries. So if you want to enjoy a morning coffee that promotes natural resource conservation and the livelihoods of impoverished farmers, then you should sample the Allegro rainforest blend.
This nuanced ground coffee is made using organic beans that have been sourced from exemplary farms across the Americas and is said to contain notes of cocoa, caramel and toasted almonds.
The Allegro rainforest blend features the rainforest alliance certification and not only embodies an aromatic coffee experience, but also the various ideals of the company that has produced it.
The coffee blend is used to promote biodiversity and not only works to improve the livelihoods of farmers, but also the condition of our beautiful planet for future generations. The dark roast blend can be enjoyed by all forms of coffee drinkers and contains a high level of caffeine.
- Eco-Friendly Blend: Allegro rainforest blend combines organic coffee beans that have been sourced from exemplary farms across the Americas and work to promote biodiversity, resource conservation and the well-being of farmers.
- Ground Coffee: The blend is a ground coffee that has been dark roasted for a strong and aromatic flavour and is compatible with most coffee machines.
- Nuanced Flavour: Allegro rainforest blend is considered a nuanced coffee that features notes of cocoa, caramel and toasted almonds.
- Expired Products: Unfortunately, I received an expired product.
Sometimes the best coffee blends are the ones that surprise you, by containing unique and exciting flavours that give the beverage a diverse and cultural twist. So if you are interested in sampling historical and multicultural coffee blends, then Allegro mocha java is the best product for you.
Named after the ancient recipe that combined mocha beans with those from the Indonesian settlement of Java, this sweet and syrupy coffee blend is known to contain undertones of berry, stone fruit and warming spice.
Although this ground coffee features the same characteristics as the traditional blend, it also reinvents the recipe by including the fruit-forward coffee beans of Ethiopia, as well as the spicy coffee beans known to grow in Sumatra.
Made using organic and sustainably sourced ingredients, this delicious blend captures a tiny piece of coffee history and allows you to sample the influential flavour during your morning brew.
- Ancient Coffee Recipe: Allegro mocha Java is a ground coffee blend that features the same characteristics as an ancient coffee recipe but also enriches the flavour using beans from Ethiopia and Sumatra.
- Sweet & Syrupy Blend: The coffee is considered to be a sweet and syrupy blend, which features floral undertones of berry, stone fruit and warming spice.
- Multicultural Ingredients: Allegro mocha java is made using organic and sustainably sourced ingredients, with the coffee beans being farmed from various countries.
- Misleading Taste: I think the overall flavour is quite different to how it is marketed – some coffee enthusiasts have criticised the blend’s overall flavour as being misleading and underwhelming.
I understand that some coffee lovers prefer their cup of joe to be dark and aromatic. So if you are one of these people, then I would recommend purchasing a packet of Allegro Italian roast.
Designed to capture the indulgent richness of Italian coffee, this whole bean roast has been made using organic coffee beans sourced from across the Americas and is distinguished by its smooth, velvety and bittersweet flavour.
Allegro Italian roast is considered a hearty coffee blend and has been produced in partnership with rainforest alliance certified farms that only source sustainable ingredients. The luscious blend has been roasted to intense darkness, helping to produce a distinctive and powerful aroma, as well as a silky texture and finish.
This particular whole bean blend can be used to create a full-flavoured brewed coffee or can be utilized in a pungent cup of espresso.
- Dark Coffee Blend: Allegro Italian roast is a dark whole bean blend that captures the velvety texture of authentic Italian brew and can be used to make a full-flavoured cup of coffee or a shot of espresso.
- Rainforest Alliance Certified: The blend of coffee is made using organic coffee beans that have been sustainably sourced from various rainforest alliance certified farmers.
- Smooth Flavour: Allegro Italian roast has been made to embody the distinctive flavour of Italian coffee and is known for its smooth texture and bittersweet taste.
- Bitter Taste: The strong and bitter taste of the coffee blend may prove too powerful for casual coffee drinkers.
If your goal in life is to sample a medium roast coffee that is bursting with distinctive flavours, then I know exactly what type of roast you should have in your pantry. Allegro Vienna roast is a whole bean coffee that has been made using only the finest coffee beans from Latin America, where they have been sustainably grown by local farmers.
The coffee beans are then medium-roasted to accentuate the natural sweetness of the blend, which is said to have a smooth and creamy texture and contain notes of dark chocolate, brown sugar and roasted nuts.
The Allegro Vienna roast comes complete with a resealable packet, which features a series of instructions on how to brew the coffee to its full potential. Perfect for mixing up a delicious and full-flavoured morning cup, this unique coffee blend tastes particularly delicious when partnered with milk or cream.
So if you want your morning cup of joe to be bursting with sweetness and character, then this blend is the one for you.
- Latin American Beans: Allegro Vienna roast is a whole bean blend that is made using Latin American beans, which have been sustainably grown by local farmers.
- Medium Roast Blend: The coffee beans have been medium-roasted to accentuate the natural sweetness of the blend, creating a smooth and creamy coffee with notes of dark chocolate and nuts.
- Versatile Mix: Allegro Vienna roast can be used to create a delicious and flavorful cup of coffee, which pairs particularly well with milk or cream.
- Expired Coffee: Unfortunately, there have been numerous instances where the coffee has been delivered expired or is close to its expiration date.
I know that some coffee lovers prefer to drink decaffeinated brands, which can sometimes be severely lacking in taste and aroma. So if you are looking for a decaf coffee that is packed with flavour, then I have the ultimate product for you.
Allegro whole foods decaf blend is a full-bodied decaf coffee that has been made using the highest quality organic coffee beans, which have been decaffeinated using the Swiss water process. Distinguished by its rich and delicious aroma, the decaf blend is also known for its notes of spice, sugar and smoke.
The Allegro organic decaf blend contains coffee beans that have been sourced from Fair Trade co-ops across the Americas, which are then taken to Vancouver to undergo the decaffeination process.
Simple yet effective, this smooth and delicious blend promises to deliver a morning cup of coffee that is full of flavour and aroma, regardless of how little caffeine the overall blend contains.
- Organic Decaf Blend: Allegro decaf blend is a whole bean coffee that is made using only high-quality organic coffee beans that have been decaffeinated using the Swiss water process.
- Delicious Flavour: The blend of coffee does not contain caffeine but is rich in flavour, with the aromatic blend containing notes of smoke, sugar and spice.
- Sustainable Ingredients: Allegro decaf blend is made using coffee beans that have been sourced from Fair Trade co-ops and decaffeinated in Vancouver.
- Inconsistent Product: Unfortunately, some buyers have criticized the coffee blend for being expired upon arrival.
Allegro Coffee Buyer’s Guide
I understand that the notion of buying a bag of coffee may seem like a simple task, but numerous elements need to be considered first.
To help aid you in your search, I have compiled this informative buyer’s guide, which covers everything you need to know about Allegro coffee and how its different blends may differ depending on your tastes and preferences.
All Allegro coffee blends come in a variety of roast levels, which can greatly affect the strength and flavour of the overall brew. To help you understand the difference between the roast levels, I have outlined them down below, as well as providing some basic information regarding how the different roasts can alter the smell and taste of the coffee.
Light roast is a method of roasting that is intended to preserve the natural aromas and flavours of the coffee bean and is considered the preferred roasting level for speciality coffee brands.
Lightly roasted beans are usually dry in texture and will reach temperatures of 350-400 degrees. If you prefer to drink strong coffee that keeps the natural taste intact, then this roast level is the one best suited for your tastes.
Medium roasts are also capable of preserving the bean’s natural flavour, however, they also provide a sweet caramelization that reduces the acidity and brightness usually found in light roast blends.
The beans are also known to have a dry texture and will reach temperatures of 400-430 degrees. If you prefer your coffee to have sweet and smooth undertones, then this will be your preferred roasting level.
When coffee beans are roasted to temperatures between 430-450 degrees, any natural flavour is eradicated and replaced with a bold and smoky taste. This helps to create a coffee that features a heavier flavour profile, as well as low levels of acidity and bitterness.
So if you prefer your coffee to have undertones of sweetness, then this is the level of roasting that you need.
Whole Bean vs Ground
Another element you need to consider is whether you want to purchase a whole bean coffee or coffee grounds. Many coffee enthusiasts will tell you that coffee beans are always the correct answer, and this is something that I have to agree with.
When you purchase coffee grounds you are essentially buying stale coffee that has been roasted months before, which can rid the overall blend of its natural sweetness and aromas. The amount of oxygen that coffee grounds are exposed to can also make the blend bitter, which can result in an unsatisfying morning brew.
Coffee beans, on the other hand, are capable of staying fresher for longer, as they are larger and less perceptible to the wills of the elements. This means that they will usually produce a sweeter and more flavorful cup of coffee that any coffee drinker can enjoy.
Of course, whether you want to purchase beans or grounds is entirely your choice, as both can deliver a sufficient cup of coffee. So the final decision does depend on your preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Allegro Coffee Owned By Whole Foods?
The Allegro coffee company was founded in 1977 in Boulder, Colorado, where it was one of the first American coffee companies to produce organic roasts. In 1997, the company was purchased by Whole Foods, with Allegro coffee becoming the grocery store’s signature house roast.
However, Allegro also continues to operate its business entity from its headquarters in Boulder.